Saturday, April 11, 2009

Volkswagon Passat Engine Light Continued.....


So, I checked the engine light and the code read Cylinder lean(fuel to air ratio low). With the mileage on the Passat at 98,000 miles my first change was the fuel filter. When I pulled it out I discovered that it was the original! The first filter I found was $38 way too much for my blood. I opted for the $9.00 version of the same filter. I followed the steps in the code reader and erased the codes. I thought good, problem solved. Then 2 days later the light came back on.Free Smiley Face Courtesy of www.FreeSmileys.org I opened the hood with the engine running to listen for any air leaks.(Sucking Noise in the Intake)I heard a lot. So I undue the cover over the engine and follow the noise using my ears and fingers. I found the problem.....it was some vacuum lines at the rear of the motor that had gotten baked by the heat off the motor. A few feet of the right size vacuum hose for $4.50 and the problem was solved. Minor problems like this are spendy if you take your vehicle to a shop. If you are patient and trouble shoot yourself or even enlist a friend or even check the internet you can do a lot yourself and keep money in your pocket.

No comments: